Peri Peri Chicken and Potatoes
- 6 chicken legs (skin on) – make a few gashes with a knife on the chicken for the marinade to seep in
- 2 large potatoes cut into wedges or thick sticks
- ½ a medium onion quartered
- 3 cloves of garlic
- ¼ cup flavourless oil or olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ tsp coarse ground black pepper
- ½ tsp paprika
- 4 – 5 dry red chillies (depending on how hot you like it)
Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
Add all the ingredients to the blender (except chicken and potatoes, of course) and blend until its a thick smooth puree.
Line a baking sheet with baking paper, (you can spread a sheet of aluminium foil first and over it, the baking paper, for easier cleaning) and spread your chicken and potatoes in one single layer on the sheet.
Pour the marinade over the chicken and potatoes and massage it really well. drizzle a tiny bit of oil over the chicken and potatoes lightly and put it right into the (lower half rack of the) hot oven to bake for around 40 -45 mins.
To check the doneness, insert a knife into the thickest part of the chicken if it slides in easily and the juices that run out is clear, then its ready.
You can flip the chicken half-way through the baking process to get good colour on both sides. Alternatively, you can broil the chicken the last 5 mins to get the charred finish on the chicken and potatoes.
What you’re looking for is crispy skin, juicy and soft flavourful meat. Serve it with a simple salad and a ranch dip. So yum!
- If you don’t like to eat the skin, I would suggest you to still keep it as it keeps the meat inside soft and juicy. Just make sure you massage the chicken with the marinade really well and it seeps into those gashes you’ve scored on.
- if you feel there is an excess marinade, toss in a few veggies along with the potatoes. I like to add bell peppers.
- You can marinate the chicken for a few hours before baking too. I just happen to find this an easy one-pan meal that can be made last minute with just a few ingredients. Blend – Marinate- Bake- Eat. 5 mins prep and go finish your chores while it bakes.