A pretty famous Peruvian stir fry dish; tender slices of beef sauteed in a soy-based sauce with veggies and fries. Its a one-pot wonder and really yum!
What you need:
450gm Sirloin Beef, thinly sliced patted really dry
1 Large Red Onion, peeled and cut into thick slices
2 cloves of garlic crushed lightly (optional)
3 green chillies slit
1/2 cup thickly sliced white button mushrooms (optional)
1/2 red capsicum cut into long thick slices (optional)
3 large ripe Tomatoes quartered into thick wedges
3 Tbsp of Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Distilled White Vinegar
1/2 cup of Beef Stock
1/4 cup Coriander leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
450gms of Frozen French Fries Baked with a little touch of oil or air-fried
1)In a very large wide skillet or a wok, add about 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil and preheat it over high heat until smokey, add the beef, season with some salt and cook just until the beef is fully cooked through, about 2 minutes, remove from the pan onto a plate. You are looking for the beef to cook until tender and not release any moisture into the pan.
2) In the same hot pan, add the onion (and another drizzle of oil if you need to) and cook for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes, garlic, chillies, mushrooms and peppers and cook on high heat for few minutes until slightly softened, remove the veggies to a plate. Do not add any salt to the veggies, it will release all the moisture and become soupy. You are looking for a dry, lightly charred yet slightly softened veggies.
3) Mix together the beef stock soy and vinegar, add it to the hot pan and let it simmer for about 2 minutes or until it reduces slightly and thickens a bit.
4) Add the beef, veggies and french fries to the sauce, quickly toss it all together and serve immediately, garnishing with chopped coriander leaves. You are looking for a stir fry with a sticky sauce coating the beef and tomatoes.
– You can use any tender cut of beef like sirloin/ ribeye. If you are not comfortable using these cuts, simply pressure cook your beef with a little salt and pepper. Drain and dry. Then use as per the recipe 🙂
-You can replace beef with chicken. Make sure to wash and dry your meat before using. Use boneless chicken, cut into strips and saute on high flame.
-Beef stock can be replaced with chicken stock.
– This stir fry recipe is cooked on high heat, so use a large wide pan. You want to cook the meat and veggies quickly and develop a beautiful char on them that happens with a high flame. You don’t want the moisture from the meat and veggies to be released into the pan as it will be soupy and overcooked.
– Let the veggies cook until it has a char, slightly softened yet has a crunchy bite to them 🙂